Dihydrotachysterol Chemical Properties,Uses,Production
Dihydrotachysterol is a synthetic analog of vitamin D. It is considered as a reduction product of vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). It stimulates bone mineralization as well as calcium and phosphorus absorption in intestine. Dihydrotachysterol has been used for the treatment of hypoparathyroidism, osteomalacia, osteoporosis, low calcium level, and kidney osteodystrophy. Though dihydrotachysterol is more expensive, dihydrotychysterol therapy is preferred as it has a more rapid onset of action (1-7 d) and a shorter time for dissipation of effect in the event of toxicity (2-3 weeks) than vitamin D2.
Dihydrotachysterol is hydroxylated in the liver to 25-hydroxydihydrotachysterol, which is the major circulating active form of the drug. It does not undergo further hydroxylation by the kidney and therefore is the analogue of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. Dihydrotachysterol is effective in the elevation of serum calcium by stimulating intestinal calcium absorption and mobilizing bone calcium in the absence of parathyroid hormone and of functioning renal tissue. It also increases renal phosphate excretion. In contrast to parathyroid extract, dihydrotachysterol is active when taken orally, exerts a slow but persistent effect, and may be used for long periods without increasing the dosage or causing tolerance. Dihydrotachysterol is faster-acting than pharmacologic doses of vitamin D and is less persistent after cessation of treatment, thus decreasing the risk of accumulation and of hypercalcemia.
Used for the prevention and treatment of rickets or osteomalacia, and to manage hypocalcemia associated with hypoparathyroidism or pseudohypoparathyroidism. Also used for the treatment of vitamin D dependent rickets, rickets or osteomalacia secondary to long-term high dose anticonvulsant therapy, early renal osteodystrophy, osteoporosis (in conjunction with calcium), and hypophosphatemia associated with Fanconi syndrome (with treatment of acidosis).
- Dihydrotachysterol is a form of vitamin D. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin and has properties of both vitamins and minerals. Vitamin D helps you to absorb calcium from what you eat. You need calcium to keep your bones strong, and to help your muscles and nerves work properly.
- The term Vitamin D collectively refers to a group of structurally similar chemicals and their metabolites, which includes alfacalcidol (1 α hydroxycholecalciferol), calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxychole-calciferol), cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), dihydrotachysterol(DHT) and ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2). These agents have antirachitic properties.
- Dihydrotachysterol-2 (DHT-2) is a vitamin D2 analog for the Pharmaceutical industry.
- Dihydrotachysterol-2 is used in the prevention and treatment of several bone growth disorders such as osteoporosis. Besides this the substance is also used to treat several abnormalities of the parathyroid glands such as hypoprathyroidism.
- Jack Z. Yetiv and Joseph R. Bianchine, Hypertension, Cardiovascular Disease, Analgesics, and Endocrine Disorders, 1981, ISBN 0-12-788950-7
- Carl P. Weiner and Kate Rope, The Complete Guide to Medications During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding, 2013, ISBN-10: 0312676468
Calcium regulator. Preparation by reduction of Tachysterol. It is widely used for hypocalcemic hypoparathyroidism following surgical removal of parathyroids.
ChEBI: A hydroxy seco-steroid that is 9,10-secoergosta-5,7,22-triene substituted by a hydroxy group at position 3. A synthetic analogue of vitamin D that acts a bone density conservation agent.
Hytakerol (Sterling Winthrop).
Crystallise the sterol from 90% MeOH, UV: max at 242, 251 and 261nm (E1% 760, 1010 and 650) in EtOH. The acetate has m108-110o and  +32.8o (CHCl3), UV: max at 242, 251 and 261nm (E 780, 910 and 600) in EtOH. The propionate has m 97-98o and  +37o (CHCl3), UV: max 242, 251 and 261nm (E 750, 860 and 570) in EtOH. [Werder Hoppe Seyler's Z Physiol Chem 260 119 1939, Windaus et al. Justus Liebigs Ann Chem 499 1978 1932, Beilstein 6 III 2833, 6 IV 3994, 4161.]
Dihydrotachysterol Preparation Products And Raw materials